Thursday, February 18, 2010

EGYPTIAN REVIVAL BEETLE BRACELET


Found at a local Estate Sale: 02.05.10

Every now and then I find something that I really don't think I can part with. This happens to be one of those items. Until purchasing this item, I wasn't completely aware of how extensive the "Egyptian Revival" movement was. From jewelry to sculpture, this period really embodies the Art Nouveau and Ethnic spice of the 1930's/40's. I don't think this carving was initially intended to be a bracelet. From what I have read, it appears that it was once a pendant, and has been transformed into another item of jewelry over the years. The underside of the green beetle reveals carved hieroglyphics. I have no idea what they say, but the idea of them is mysterious and romantic...and really, that is all I need to keep my interest most of the time.

It really is lovely. I' sure I will end up selling it eventually, but for now, I want to admire it a little while longer. Hell, I might even WEAR IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment